Braxton Hicks Contractions


The schedule for my next pre-natal checkup was originally scheduled on November 2nd. But last weekend, after our 2-day trip to Pampanga, a frequent tightening of my uterus (which is painful sometimes) commenced. My baby also seem to move a whole lot more than the previous weeks and months. Aside from that, I can feel the kicks in my pubic area, which somehow made me think that my baby wants to get out as soon as possible.

Asking fellow Moms in our neighborhood only worsened my anxiety. One of them said she experienced the same thing when she was 7 months pregnant and was ordered a complete bed rest by her doctor because her placenta was then lying too low and the baby could burst out all of a sudden. Another one told me that her neighbor gave birth at 7 months because of the same symptoms I now encounter. When I came home that day I cried my heart out, in 2 hours! I do not want to give birth prematurely, well who does? Hubby was there to console me but I just couldn't stop crying. In the end he called my doctor and she advised me to go to the clinic ASAP so she can check.

The next day, I was still afraid and very nervous. My doctor did all the routine checks plus an internal examination to see if my cervix has dilated. But the Lord is so good, he would not let anything happen to me and my baby. She said I have absolutely nothing to worry about. The frequent kicks and jabs only means that my baby is very active and healthy. While the hardening of the uterus is called Braxton Hicks contractions and it is very common during the third trimester. Not all women experience Braxton Hicks, though. So how do we differentiate real labour contractions from Braxton Hicks contractions? 


How to tell the difference between Braxton Hicks from Labour contractions
Braxton Hicks Contractions
Labour Contractions
Can be once, twice or thrice in an hour, a few times a day
More frequent
Usually irregular; if regular, only in very short periods
More regular
Usually lasts to only a minute or less
Lasts noticeably longer
Low intensity and often stops if you change activity (walk if you’ve been sitting, and vice versa)
More painful

I am very glad and thankful that what I'm experiencing is just normal. Though I still complain of lower back pains and occasional cramps in my hip area. It really pays to have someone knowledgeable or an expert to talk to. At least now I have peace of mind, knowing that my baby is growing healthy inside me. If ever you are in doubt and have questions, talk to your doctor.

Also take note of any watery or bloody vaginal discharge, or if you think your waters have broken. These should definitely ring an alarm, so call your doctor immediately.

30 comments:

  1. I have like this with my second baby. I am working that time as Cashier Supervisor. You cannot work properly. Feel like mild menstrual cramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Raine! Yes, it's super uncomfortable! Actually, until now meron pa din. My doctor assured me that it's normal, though. As long as walang bleeding, etc.

      Delete
  2. The gist of comparing true labor from false labor is its pain, if its not releived by walking nor positioning then it's real, also its origin, does it start from the lower back up to the abdomen or is it just at the abdomen. Well congratulations! be ready for the increase energy before labor (this is the time you feel so industrious and feeling like getting ready for giving birth) and lightening (the baby begins to descend weeks before labor)you'll feel releived of breathing and your body is just ready to give birth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. My baby will be delivered via CS, though. Just like my first-born. :)

      Delete
  3. A health baby is coming in deed. By the way, I was born premature and had to spend 45 days in an incubator and I ended up ok though you are right it's a bit risky having premature birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a joy to know that you ended up okay, Franc. Not all premature babies do, so I got really nervous. Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I need to bookmark this one. My sister is 7 Months preg...LOL just for her labor preparation this January :) Good thing you did share some useful infos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope everything goes well with your sister's pregnancy. :)

      Delete
  5. I think it was the same condition my sister experienced during her last pregnancy. At 7mos, we all thought she was about to give birth, but it was all false alarm. Nevertheless, she was advised a total bed rest until her full term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gigi. I was actually afraid that my doctor will advise a total bed rest, too. Na-bed rest na kasi ako during my first trimester. Good thing, she only prescribed meds that would help relax my uterine muscles.

      Delete
  6. wow! I've been in the position before also but because maybe i live in a province we're doctors or any famous medications are not situated in the place is not really a big matter to them. for them everything is normal lang hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ako naman na-stress sa kakatanong sa mga kapitbahay. Buti na lang nagpacheckup ako agad. At least now I know it's just normal. :) Thanks, MaryJane!

      Delete
  7. Good thing you went to the doctor. at least you now have peace of mind and have nothing to worry about. have a safe delivery sis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i cant relate much as im still enjoying my wild irresponsible life. God bless and may you deliver your child safely. cheers to the mothers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I really havent experienced this as I dont have kids yet, but I think, this is similar to mentrual cramps? If so, I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually more intense than menstrual cramps! Kaya I thought something might be wrong. Buti na lang it's pretty common lang pala. :)

      Delete
  10. That is a good news. Take rest and don't get into strennuous activities.Your baby will be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know of someone who should have heeded your advice :( Now the baby's in ICU and is having serious complications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :(

      Yan nga din kinakatakot ko... Sana maging okay baby ng kakilala mo. God bless.

      Delete
  12. I so envy you right now. The hubby and I are still waiting for the stork to drop us a baby. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the baby will come in God's perfect timing. Enjoy each other's company na muna. :)

      Delete
  13. Now I know what Braxton Hicks means. Wishing you and your baby all the best.!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should be sharing this to my preggy bestfriend now. I learned a lot from your post and I am sure she too will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you would have a safe delivery! My husband and I are planning to have a 2nd baby since our daughter is not a baby anymore..:-) I missed being preggy, it's such a wonderful feeling.. :-) Keep safe with your baby..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Lexi,

    I also had such severe Braxton Hicks with my first daughter I was put on bed rest from week 29 of my pregnancy. Just take it easy girlfriend, you and the baby will be just fine. Btw, congratulations on your baby who's eager to meet their mommy!

    Coming by to visit from the weekend blog hop till you drop! Thanks for coming by and linking up this weekend!
    Cheers,
    Char :)
    http://1epicmom.com

    ReplyDelete