2013: The Year That Was



Okay. Last year was good enough. But somehow, something tells me that this year, I CAN DO BETTER. To sum up my 2013:

Finance

To give you a background of my financial situation, I accumulated huge debt when my late father was battling stomach cancer in January to October 2011. Being the eldest, and basically because I earn more than my brothers did at that time, I provided for my father's hospitalization, chemotherapy and other expenses as much as I can.

I borrowed money from family and friends, and my employer. My father lost his battle, heaven gained an angel, and by the end of 2011 my Mother and I were buried in debt up to our nose. My Father was a great husband and father and we did everything we can to save him until the end. No regrets.

I spent the next couple of years, 2012 and 2013, growing my cash flow, saving for loan repayment and acquiring assets. I worked really hard. And by the end of 2013, I was able to acquire a couple of agricultural lots for farming rice and onions and reduce our debt by 70%. The remaining debts I intend to pay for within the first quarter of 2014.

Work

I've always enjoyed being a WAHM. But 2013 was the year when I finally realized how grateful I am for being one. I was able to breastfeed my daughter directly and on demand and attend to everything she needs all the time. My son started going to pre-school and I can afford to guide him through each lessons and attend PTA meetings even, at times. I have a flexi-sched and I am loving it.

I don't feel like I've given my best in every task and deliverable, though. I practically wanted to finish everything up, quickly, so I can do more. I no longer have the luxury of time to do things more meticulously because I now have two kids to take care of. I feel like my quality of work have declined. My employer says nothing of the sort, I don't feel like he sensed any difference, but I KNOW that I am capable of better output.

Family

Kids-wise, I am contented and happy that I was there for them always. I was there with them during important dates, events and milestones. I really couldn't ask for more.

Marriage-wise, 2013 has been a roller-coaster ride for us. We do not like the idea of hiring other people to take care of our children, so husband and I made an obvious choice. I make more money than he did, so we mutually agreed that I continue working and he takes care of the kids and the household. We believe that taking care of children are the parents' responsibility. So yes, he is officially a full-time househusband now. He may not be too proud about it but as a partner, I am very proud of my husband. With his sacrifice, we are able to prioritize what's really important and what really matters - our KIDS.

How was your 2013? Care to share in the comments?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment