Book Review: I Wish They Taught Money In High School


I have a reason to believe that this year is gonna be a ROARable year for me. Why? Because for the first time in my life, I finally have a plan on what to do with my life. Yes. I spent the last two weeks of 2013 working on spreadsheets and on Google Calendar, carefully planning what to do and accomplish week after week, January to March 2014. And I intend to continue with all the planning beyond March, of course. For this post, I will only talk about the money plans.


A 2-in-1 Book To Kick-start My 2014 Money Goals

I received a book to review on January 5th. It is a 2-in-1 book or a combi-book written by Clarissa Serina-Dela Paz and Sharon W. Que, two successful women with a passion for educating Filipinos on Personal Finance Management. Clarissa wrote "I WISH THEY TAUGHT MONEY IN HIGH SCHOOL So I'm Not Dependent on My Paycheck" and Sharon authored "I WISH THEY TAUGHT MONEY IN HIGH SCHOOL So I Can Start My Own Business Right Away".

I am so eager to reach a few financial goals this year and the timing of this book couldn't be more perfect. I actually devoured it in one sitting! Yeah, I'm like that when a particular topic piqued my interest enough. And this book did.

The authors have a way of presenting ideas in an encouraging, engaging and almost demanding manner to put them into action. The book contains essential financial principles too small and basic that we fail to recognize them for what they truly are - golden nuggets of wisdom that can guide us into financial independence.

As a Business Administration graduate, I already KNOW most of these principles. They're all in my mind, but what I failed to do until now is to ACT on them. This is why I'm not anywhere near financial independence

But hey, they actually taught money matters in my high school. We were taught budgeting, entrepreneurship and investing as early as the first year. I remember investing Php100 into our school cooperative and getting twice the amount at the end of the school year. I mean, that sounds like a mutual fund blah blah, right? What they fail to taught me is how to work towards certain financial goals I have in mind.

LESSONS LEARNED FROM THIS BOOK

- Plan and adhere to a budget; (Income-Savings=Expenses)
- Invest a portion of my earnings on stocks, mutual fund or a business; (So my money could work for me)
- Establish a good credit score; (Credit cards aren't evil.)
- Educate my children about money management the earliest age possible; (This book have plenty of ideas on how to teach your children the value of money.)

In closing, I really wish I was taught how to work towards my dreams in high school. That would have saved me a great deal of headaches caused by financial issues year after year. Imagine if I realized the value and importance of saving and investing earlier on in my life, my lifestyle now would be a lot different.

They say the best time to plant trees was 20 years ago. The second best is NOW. Same goes for a lifestyle upgrade. It's never too late to chase your dreams.

Do check out Lifestyle Upgrade 101 on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment