Is it Safe? Getting a Tattoo While Pregnant

My husband, my brothers, my brothers-in-law, most of my cousins, even my late Dad all have tattoos - mainly because of the influence of rock/metal music groups, artists and celebrities they fancy. Gone were the days when tattooed people are deemed either ex-convicts or drug addicts. These days, doctors, lawyers, company executives and even priests - yes, priests (like my husband's brother) - have tattoos. Tattoos has quickly evolved into a form of body art and fashion.
I had my first tattoo done on Valentines Day 2010. Even though I have really low pain tolerance, I insisted on getting inked so now my Bosses' names are permanently inked on the side of both arms. The session took only 20 minutes and i was able to get through the pain so it wasn't the last. 

And this, is my second tattoo done on December 2011, 2 weeks before Christmas. I actually had a motorcycle accident in September 2010 and it left a big and ugly scar at the back of my thigh. I spent a lot of money on topical treatments, creams and other skin products just to make it less noticeable but to no avail. After a year, I eventually gave up and I'm definitely not going to spend any more money for a laser or surgery so I decided to cover it up with a tattoo instead. This time though, it took an agonizing 4 hour-session and I admit I almost fainted because of the pain. That's where I learned that the back of the thigh is one of the more sensitive areas of the body. Ouch. I should've taken pain killers before the session.

And last night while chatting with a friend, I was asked if I have a plan of commemorating my pregnancy with another tattoo. I said I haven't given it a thought and I don't think I'll consider having one while still pregnant because of the reasons below.

Reasons Why I Will Never Get a Tattoo While Still Pregnant
  • Safety first. There is a risk of contracting blood-borne infections and diseases like Hepatitis or HIV if the tattoo equipments used aren't properly sterilized. Pregnant or not, always choose a licensed tattooist who wears gloves and uses sterilized tools and new needles.
  • Pregnant women tend to have extra-sensitive skin. Tattoo needles are sharp and might cause a lot of pain especially if you have low pain tolerance like me.
  • Skin stretches during pregnancy because of added weight. If you decide to have a tattoo while pregnant, it may not look the same when your baby is born. 
Still debating on getting a tattoo while pregnant? While there are not enough studies conducted on the effect of tattoo dyes and inks for unborn babies, it's best to play safe. I cannot think of any reason why I shouldn't wait for next year or until I'm done breastfeeding. Also, if I really really really want to get inked at this time of my life, I'll go for a temporary and safe alternative, which is natural henna.
Oh wait, I've heard not all henna inks are safe as well. So again, no thanks! There's a lot of things I can do to commemorate this special event without risking my baby's safety and health, anyway.

10 comments:

  1. I still belong to the old school and never even thought of having a tattoo... ever! SO if you plan to have a tattoo, make sure it doesn't contain iron because it will be a contraindication for MRI (may cause burn!) when you might need this test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too. never thought of inking any parts of my body. hahaha Although sometimes it's tempting me, still no plans at all maybe yet. ;) nice tatts though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree, if you want to get another tatt, better wait til the baby is out and breastfeeding is done. You're a brave woman, 4 hours of needle-pricking?! I can't handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. right decision, dont get inked when you're pregnant... you might compromise the health of your baby

    ReplyDelete
  5. i could not imagine myself getting a tattoo - pregnant or not. It's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wish to make a tatoo..so thanks for sharing these info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pregnant women are more sensitive to a lot of things. Pain may be escalated plus other unknown risks could happen. Wait until the baby comes out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's not safe getting a tattoo for pregnant women as they are extra sensitive in these period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like tattoos on other people but not on my own skin. hehee The permanence can be frightening- not to mention the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo. Sure, I could find some really nice and cute tatts, but just the thought of the needle scares me. Also, I have a low pain tolerance. I don't want to cry while getting inked. Haha. But yeah, you should wait. Safety first. :)

    ReplyDelete