Is Saridon Safe or Not?

As a Work-at-Home Mom, I usually spend 10-16 hours a day in the internet with the main purpose of doing my online job, keeping in touch with family and friends on social networking sites, and keeping myself updated with information relevant to my daily life.

I am the kind of person who check facts and get details first with the help of search engines like Google before deciding to purchase and consume a product. I have a bad eyesight which causes frequent headaches; and while searching for a safe and reliable alternative to Biogesic (the brand I usually use), I come across several articles about Saridon which obviously piqued my interest.


About Saridon

I am not familiar with Saridon, as I don't even see, hear or read about it from the tri-media and this is actually the first time I read about the brand.

According to Wikipedia, Saridon is an over-the-counter (OTC) drug distributed by Bayer Philippines for the relief of mild to severe headache, toothache, menstrual discomfort, postoperative and rheumatic pain, and for pain and fever associated with colds and flu.

It is first launched in the 1930s but was discontinued because one of its original ingredients was found to cause cancer. It was later reformulated by Bayer Indonesia in the early 2000s and is now being sold here in the Philippines.

Suspicions about Saridon

Suspicion #1: It is unsafe to use. - The original formulation with phenacetin as one of its main ingredients was discontinued decades ago. Its reformulated version contains Propyphenazone (feared to be a derivative of phenacetin) which on the other hand, has been associated with a blood disorder called Blood Dyscrasias.

Suspicion #2: Consumers from the Visayas and Mindanao areas are being used as a test market. - Again, it's the safety issue. Saridon has been banned in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea and Turkey but being sold in our country at a very low price. And if it really is safe, why was it initially being distributed and sold in the VisMin areas only? What if the people living in these regions are actually a test market, to determine whether the product is safe for a larger target market?

Suspicion #3: Restricted information - Why is it so hard to find complete information about Saridon in the internet? Their Facebook page contains no helpful information at all. I can find their TVCs in Youtube but again, it doesn't have the details I need. I actually couldn't find anything about its safety that I can consider as FACT. Are they restricting information that would justify Suspicion #2? I hope not.

My Take on This Issue

Suspicions might be true or false. But it will really make a difference if Bayer Philippines would take the initiative to provide people with the exact information (FACTS) they need about the drug's safety. This shouldn't be so hard to do, as they can easily setup an official website or a Facebook page and interact with their consumers. If they really want a bigger chunk of the market, this will even be beneficial for them because they can gain loyal followers thru honest and responsive social interaction. Moreover, they shouldn't forget their responsiblity to keep consumers updated and properly informed.

The Department of Health (DOH) and Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD) should also closely monitor this issue. They should not allow questionable medicines to be consumed by the general public, especially now that Saridon has been launched and is being sold nationwide.

I, as a consumer, would greatly appreciate if the abovementioned agencies can shed light into this issue and let the country know whether Propyphenazone is safe or not.

Additional Readings about Saridon

Wazzup? Pilipinas!

17 comments:

  1. I used saridon for long time,but never know all that things of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't encountered this brand yet, but thanks to your article, I can share this to my friends too. I also try as much as possible to avoid taking too many medicines or pills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The public has the right to be informed about the safety of drugs. Isn't Saridon listed in MIMS? We should also be wary about "facts" posted on the internet. MIMS would be a more reliable source for any drug-related information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pepper!

      It's in MIMS, like I said the information is kinda limited. (See http://www.mims.com/Philippines/drug/info/Saridon%20Triple%20Action/?q=Saridon&type=brief)

      And the link to the BFAD doesn't work. (See http://www.bfad.gov.ph/oldsite/NADRAC/INDEX.htm)

      :( I hope BFAD updates that page.

      Delete
  4. OMG i am using Saridon and I found this effective. True, I bought Saaridon in Mindanao. Maybe i should start researching more about this med. thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Morion!

      They say it's fast-acting and effective with headaches and the like. I only want to know if Propyphenazone is really safe to use or not.

      Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. yay ka! i used to take saridon too especially when it comes to severe pain such as tootache and migrane. i have no idea that med has been banned in other countries. i wonder why our country sold such this only in vismin.??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beats me!

      Actually I've read an article that it's also now being sold in Luzon since December 2011.

      Delete
  6. I never heard of it.Why did buyer use the people of VISMIN if this product is banned in some countries???.
    As per my opinion We have to make responsible in every thing we intake..

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe the are intentionally selling it at certain areas in order to kill off the poor people of certain areas of the Philippines, like they are doing in other countries, such as India, Pakistan, Africa, etc, to kill of the poor people of a country in order to further reduce the world population. who knows....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Fifi that's SCARY!

      That's genocide, hindi naman siguro. :P But it would be good if they can clarify and disseminate and backup more facts and info about Propyphenazone in Saridon. Just to make sure that it's safe for the general public.

      Delete
  8. I heard of this product but not using it personally. I always consult a doctor in any medication but for minor headache from fatigue, overwork, enough sleep and rest will do. And if it will occur again, check up will be the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saridon.HHmmm....quite very new for me, indeed. I would try this out, maybe....if its available over the counter of Mercury Drug or Generics Pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you I am waiting for DOH and Bayer to clarify this issue. The fact that they have been mum on issue adds to my suspicions that it really was released without further study.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any medicine couldn't be generally circulated in our country unless it is duly certified by DoH and BFAD. And it is not practical to cite VisMin as the pilot area for testing the reformulated Saridon. Human beings are subjected for testing a medicine with dubious and dangerous reaction to the people's health. I understand it is usually and commonly used to test with the Guinea pigs, rodents or rats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its just like alaxan, but different brand name lang :) nice post :)

    Rovie
    The Bargain Doll

    ReplyDelete
  13. is it approved by bfad? if it's banned sa ibang countries... then, there really be something in it. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete