Maternity Leave Benefits for WAHM (Work-at-Home-Moms)

Happy Thanksgiving! Just sharing with you something that I am truly grateful for...


A few more weeks to go before I give birth to my second child - and some of my online friends are asking me if I am eligible for maternity leave benefits even if I only work from home. Luckily, I can answer them YES. My full-time job is internet-based, so I can work literally anywhere as long as there is stable internet connection. I've been with the company since August 2009 and my employer actually agreed on giving me a 4-week maternity leave with pay. Furthermore, last year when I had a miscarriage, I was given 2 weeks paid leave to completely recuperate. Though I told him that I can go back to work within the same week that I was rushed into the hospital, he insisted that I use the full 14-days leave so I can fully recover.

If you are a full-time Work-at-Home Mom like me, here are some of the things you might want to consider about taking a maternity leave:

  • Before discussing maternity leave with your employer, figure out how much time you need. It may not be approved right away, so you have to be open for negotiations. Personally, I think I can get back to the grind as soon as 2 weeks after giving birth because my job is not too demanding - mostly email correspondence and live chats which are not very frequent. 2 weeks up to a month for me is just ideal.
  • Do not hesitate to ask your employer about a PAID maternity leave but also do not put your hope on it 100 percent. After all, only a few full-time WAHMs I know are lucky enough to be given a paid leave. There's nothing wrong with being optimistic, but be prepared to take rejections.
  • Notify your employer early. At least two weeks before your due date so the company can prepare all necessary arrangements to ensure that everything will work out well while you're on leave. Also make sure you finish all pending and incomplete tasks.
  • Do not rush things. Do not go back to work if you are not ready physically, mentally  and emotionally. Also remember that those first few months are critical and very important for your newborn's development. I know WAHMs like us normally couldn't afford to take longer vacations, but make sure not to sacrifice your health and your family for the sake of earning money.
  • Everything is doable with encouragement and support. Even if your maternity leave request is denied, you can still work with the support of your husband and other family members. I know this from experience, because the first company I used to work for online (A Hong Kong - based company and I worked for them full-time for 2 years) denied me of any maternity benefits. I thought at first that I can't be a full-time mother and a full-time employee at the same time. I've been tempted to resign many times so I can take care of my newborn, but thanks to my husband and my parents who are always there there to encourage and support me, I was able to make it through without having to sacrifice my job.
  • Plan ahead. Weigh and decide whether or not you need a house help, so you can focus and work properly again when your maternity leave period is over. Having my first-born child required a big adjustment, so I figured another child would need even more. It seem stressful trying to juggle all your wonder-mommy, wonder-wifey and wonder-employee tasks in one or both hands - so I am considering to hire an extra hand this time.

And hey, I saw an infographic on Facebook the other day about paid maternity leave in other countries compared to the US. That's where I realized that working women in the US aren't given paid maternity leave, and that the Philippines' working women populace is still luckier. 



I feel so blessed having a considerate employer who understand the needs of women. How about you, what are you grateful for today?
4F8CJ2NHKZG9

32 comments:

  1. Wow! That's really something to be grateful about. For today i am really just thankful for spending the day with my family. The hubby even took the day off from work. And there wasn't even any special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 50 weeks of paid maternity leave in Canada! That means a child would be well-taken cared of in his first year of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's truly something to be thankful for! What's the nature of your job, Sis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm thankful for a lot of things. And I'm thankful everyday.

    I heard that Canada really is lucky to have that long period of leave. My friend is there and she' thankful that about their maternity leave. Poor US :(

    CE 11/20

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am thankful for the many wonderful things in my life.

    even when we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in our country, it wouldn't hurt to maintain a thankful and grateful attitude. this paves the way for more blessings to come our way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly blessed. It seems there's nothing more you can ask for :). I'm envious, I admit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm grateful always for even the little things or success I have and the family and friends that's around me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm grateful for the life that I have even though I have experienced the ups and downs in life, but still I am here struggling for my family and moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's cool and really something to be grateful about. As for me I'm thankful for all the blessings. Lie is sometimes on a rough road but it makes me stronger. Ces't la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get 51 weeks of paid maternity leave, I am grateful that the Canadian government has this policy:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Planning the maternity leave is very important. You have given great points in planning it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats for having a maternity leave
    glad you shared that infographics, canada is the best, women-friendly country hahaha
    i wanted to be work at home mom too, can you please share your experience? how will i start?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! at least, you'll get paid while in maternity leave.. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! good to know that. Kudos to employers who are considerate and caring for their employees' rights and benefits just like yours:O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thankful for the relationship that has ended. The love was very right but the timing was not. I know that our good Lord has blessed me more and I am excitedly anticipating for the new chapter in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. sana may maternity leave din ako sa boss ko. Makakatulong ito ng sobra. Good to know na may mga employers na ganyan even if you work online :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Parang they have 30 days of leave ata if CS.. not sure rules dito sa district namin sa NM...
    Anyway, what am I thankful for? hubby's birthday today! grateful for life :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 50 weeks in Canada? Amazing. I didn't know there were no paid maternity leaves in the US. What a bummer. Really good to hear that your employer is supportive of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am grateful for today's LIFE. Good health and everything is okay in spite of our differences, I am talking here about my eldest daughter who is now beginning to explore a life of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your coming baby and You are so blessed to have a very understanding employer. Maternity leave for online working moms with pay. You sholud be grateful at that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a blank look when the maternity benefits were explained to me by the HR here at my work place. I have seven days paternity leave, which I think is too little, to be honest. Hmm.. Just curious, why not title this article literally about maternity leave? The URL, content, and tags are all about maternity leave anyway :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are lucky to have the best employer online. Iba ba title dati nito,ano?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got a very kind employer. I hope all employers for online workers will be like him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am grateful for all the blessings that comes my way, for having a generous boyfriend who is always there to back me up.. my family and friends...

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are really helpful tips for expectant moms who works at home. As for me, I have no employer so I have no one to talk to just in case I get pregnant

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's always good that you plan ahead.. congratulations and good luck on your 2nd child :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! you've got a very considerate employer. Been working online since 2008 and no benefits, just the monthly salary :/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great information. I might put up Paternity leave info at my blog to contemplate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am a WAHM too since 2008 and I am thankful to have a good employer. Although I am not entitled for a paid maternity leave, I can request for a leave that I can go back anytime I want and the compensation is good. Currently I am pregnant and waiting for few weeks more to go for my delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  30. When I gave birth I don't avail such opportunity because I was unemployed but my husband had his Paternal leave for 5 months which is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am surprised to know that their is also a leave on work at home jobs great info

    ReplyDelete